Smoked Norwegian Salmon and Pearl Barley Salad
Norwegian Smoked Salmon is the star of this unique and flavorful tossed salad featuring fresh, blanched vegetables and hearty barley.
.75 lb smoked Norwegian Salmon
.5 cups pearl barley
.5 lb broccoli crowns
1 each carrots
.5 each onion, yellow
1 each red pepper, roasted
1 each cucumber
2 tbsp chives
1 tbsp parsley
.5 cups olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp orange juice
- Cooking for more people takes longer time
- Be careful with salty ingredients and spices, you should add to taste towards the end
- Soak the barley in water overnight or for 8 hours.
- Cut broccoli into florets and slice carrots, onions, bell pepper and cucumber, or cut into 1/2" dice.
- Finely chop chives and parsley.
- Cut smoked salmon into ½" dice (or if already sliced, cut in strips); reserve refrigerated.
- Drain soaking water from barley and return barley to a saucepan with ightly salted water. Let cook 30 minutes or until soft.
- Drain barley and transfer to bowl. Immediately add oil, vinegar, orange juice, salt and pepper; mix well and set aside to cool.
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. When boiling, add broccoli and carrots and let cook for 30 seconds. Drain and plunge vegetables into ice water, then drain again after a minute.
- When barley has cooled, gently mix all ingredients together and serve with whole-grain bread or sprinkling of bread croutons on top.
- Chef Harald loves to add crisp lettuce on the side of this dish. Vegetables and herbs can be varied according to your own preferences.
- Serve as stuffed tomatoes or peppers.
- Great for an on-the-go lunch.