Norwegian Salmon with Stewed Vegetables and Cucumber Salad
Poached Norwegian Salmon served with creamy stewed potatoes, carrots, onions and more, accompanied by a light cucumber salad.
4 each 5-6 oz Norwegian Salmon fillet(s), skin removed
1 tbsp salt
1.25 cups water
4 each red potatoes
3 each carrots
1 each celeriac root
2 each onion, yellow
1 each leek
1 bunch chives
.75 cups milk
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 lb cucumber
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 each lemon
- Cooking for more people takes longer time
- Be careful with salty ingredients and spices, you should add to taste towards the end
- Place salmon a deep skillet; add just enough water to cover the salmon and bring to a boil.
- Let stand to poach for 4–6 minutes, depending on thickness of fillet. Be careful not to overcook.
- Remove from pot with tongs or slotted spoon and let water drain off onto towel. Reserve warm.
- Peel and cut the potatoes, carrots, celeriac and onion into 1/2" cubes. Clean the leeks and chop into 1" pieces, and chop the chives.
- Bring just enough lightly salted water to cover vegetables to a boil in a saucepan.
- When boiling, add potatoes, carrots, celeriac root and onions. Return to a boil, reduce and let simmer until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add leeks and chives and simmer for 2 more minutes, then drain, reserving cooking water.
- In same pot, bring milk and 1.25 cups cooking water to boil. Dilute cornstarch in small amount of cold water and whisk into boiling liquid until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper, and reserve warm.
- Add vegetables to milk mixture to reheat if needed before serving.
- Peel cucumber, split lengthwise and remove seeds with a small spoon, then cut into thick slices.
- Mix with sugar, vinegar and oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve salmon over stewed vegetables alongside cucumber salad, with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Omit the potatoes and serve over pasta.