Norwegian Salmon Pockets
Get creative with this easy recipe. Bake Norwegian Salmon and vegetables in a sealed foil pouch for 6-8 minutes. Then add crème fraiche, sour cream or your choice of topping.
4 each 5-6 oz Norwegian Salmon fillet(s), skin removed
4 sheet aluminum foil
2 tbsp canola oil
2 each carrots
1 each leek
1 each onion, yellow
1 head iceberg lettuce
4 tbsp water
4 tbsp crème fraîche
1 each lemon
- Cooking for more people takes longer time
- Be careful with salty ingredients and spices, you should add to taste towards the end
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 1 piece aluminum foil on table with short side facing you. Brush bottom half of foil, closest to you, with oil.
- Cut carrots, leeks and onions into thin strips.
- Cut lettuce into thin wedges.
- Mix the vegetable together, divide into four portions, and spread one portion over the oil; top with a salmon fillet. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp water and season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat with remaining three sheets of foil.
- Fold top sections of foil over each piece of salmon, then fold and pinch the open edgest together to form well-sealed pouches.
- Place packages on a large baking sheet and place in a preheated oven. Bake for about 6-8 minutes or until the packages swell slightly.
- To serve, place package on plate and carefully open at the table with scissors or a knife, watching for steam. Spoon crème fraîche or sour cream onto fish and sprinkle with lemon juice.
Chef's note: This recipe can be varied with different vegetables, seasonings and sauces. Use your own imagination, but keep in mind that the cooking process is short. For example, potatoes or rice must be cooked beforehand and all vegetables must be cut small so ingredients finish cooking at the same time.
- Let the kids join in by adding the ingredients they like! What about a tablespoon of peanut butter, sweet chili sauce or soy sauce? Sliced red bell peppers or a dash of pesto? Let them add flavors they like and be their own chefs for the day.
- Fresh herbs can be added before or after cooking.
- Prepare at home and take to a barbecue.